I girl got murdered in front of a bunch of people and no one said anything.
They waites for another people to do something before they do.
They did a test with smoke in a office
When the person was alone they went to get help
When in a group they just sat there waiting on someone to do something about it
-Watched neighbor get brutally murdered.
-Assaulted by a crazy person.
-Lights went on around the court yard and watched.
-No one called the cops.
-Mosely runs after someone yells out the window.
*38 people watched a girl get murdered
*no one did anything
*they thought because there was other people they didn't have to call
*someone even yelled out to her
*someone saw the attack taking place and didn't do anything
watched neighbors being stabbed
38 people knew
no one called for help until to late
stabbed 4 times in back, she screamed hysterically
people turned lights out
Moseley saw attack
eventually police where called way to late
-36 people witnessed her murder
-she was stabbed 4 times in the back
-no one called the police
-he watched the second attack happen and then closed his door
-she was stabbed 8 more times but no one called the police for a while.
*28 y/o woman murdered
*coming from work
*stabbed 4 times and then another 4
*very loud so a lot of people heard
*nobody done anything
*neighbors even watched
-In 1964, 38 neighbors watched as their neighbor was brutally murdered
-Kitty Genovene was assaulted by a random psychotic person
-She was stabbed four times in the back, screaming loudly where anyone could hear or see her
-Nobody called the police or did anything
-Collapses inside of the hallway of her apartment, where a neighbor saw the second attack take place
-Her killer got away, and by the time someone called the police they were too late to save her
- 38 people watched her get murdered
- Nobody did anything to try to help
- After he stabbed her 4 times somebody yelled out the window and he ran away but then came back
- A man opened his door and watched the attack and did nothing about it but watched
- They said they didn't help because they thought that somebody else was going to help first
By-Stander Apathy Effect
- Kitty Genovese were killed outside of her home in 1964
- She were stabbed four times in the back, and she screamed for help
- The people living in the building saw her and hear her but no one called the police
- Because they were so many people who saw the incident and no one did anything, made the rest not do anything either
- Scientists/experts claim that if there were fewer people who had seen her the people were more likely to help
Kitty was murdered in front of 38 people.
Though, people saw this, no one called the police.
Kitty collapsed in a nearby buidling.
Carl Lewis saw the second attack right in front of the his door but did nothing.
No one called the police until she had already died.
In the 1970s, the bystander apathy affect was tested by two men. In the test, people were presented with smoke coming from another room when they are alone and with others.
People tend to wait for others to respond first.
Kitty G was murdered in the street infront of her home
She was screaming for help as many watched
No one did a thing until the criminal fled the scene
Subject was placed alone where smoke was coming through the door and gets help
Subject was placed with two strangers and would not respond
- Created in reference to the case where a woman was murdered outside her apartment and none of her neighbors, some 38 people, came to her rescue.
- The neighbors could see and hear her but no one called the police well until she was dead and the killer was gone.
- One of the neighbors sees Kitty being stabbed right in his building but just closes his door and does nothing.
- All the witnesses were looking to see what the others would do.
- In the experiment, if a person was alone when someone needed help, they would act, but if there was more than one person, everyone would sit and wait for each other to do something. They would sometimes think the situation isn't that serious, or they aren't qualified or something along those lines.
-girl gets murdered while people do nothing
-alone people are more reactuive
-people around people not caring, nobody stands up
-sees smoke tells person at desk
- every one thought someone else would help
- people just watched
- when alone, you respond quick
- people with you, you dont do anything
- groups change things
- Kitty stabbed and nobody called the cops.
- People push off the responsibility to the next person.
- If nobody else reacts then the subject wont either.
- Man saw second attack and didn't help kitty.
- If someone is alone and something happens they speak up .
-During the stabbing people heard the screaming and never did a thing about it.
-There where about 38 witness that never did anything to help.
- The test started with one person seeing smoke coming out of a door,
- The second test had 3 people who look at the smoke and look back and forth not reacting to the smoke.
-The test showed that people in groups never really report things.
-Kitty was stabbed 4 times but nobody called for help. Mosely drove off and she tried to leave, she fell by a mans door and he did not do anything when Mosely returned to stab her again. Eventually a neighbor called for help but it was to late she was dead.
-Ginovese effect was to see how you would respond when you were alone or with other people around.
-Experimenter 1 was alone and faced smoke and reacted quickly.
-Experimenter 2 and 3 were together and faced smoke and didnt react.
-When you are with people who dont respond then you are less likely to respond because you feel like it isnt a big deal.
People thought somebody else would call the police or get invalid. If no body is out there helping why should I. Oh its non of my business.
- In 1964 Kitty Genovese was murdered in front of an apartment full of people, and no one helped her before she bled to death from repeated stabbing
- Two social physiologists wanted to test how this could happen
- They put a participant in a room and started to pump smoke under the door
- When by themselves, they immediately told someone
- When in a group, if the actors didn't respond to the smoke, neither would the participant
1. Many witnessed Kitty Genovese being murdered by Winston Moseley, but no one acted upon it.
2. Psychologist made an experiment testing the bystander effect.
3. A person is placed alone in a room to take a fake test, then smoke flows in the room from under the door. The person reacts immediately.
4. When a group is placed in a room to take a fake test, smoke starts to fill the room.
5. The people in the group is alot more reluctant about reacting because the other people haven't.