-less than half of America had heard of Vietnam in 1964
-everyone knew communism was bad
-Americas involvement began in 1964
-China supported communists
-United States supported non communists
-Vietcong was the enemy
-In August 1964, the US was attacked by north Vietnam and the US became fully involved
-South Vietnam army is called the Arvin
-The Vietcong are farmers by day and fighters at night
-The Vietcong attacked US air force bases in Vietnam
* Less than 50% of American knew who Vietnam was.
* American involvement began in 1954
* We provided South Vietnam with weapons and training.
* Peace treaty that split North and South Vietnam
* August 5, 1964 American planes are flying to VIetnam.
* August 7, 1964 America is fully involved in the Vietnam war.
* South Vietnam army is called the arben and North Vietnams army was called VC
* November 1, 1964 VC attacking South Vietnams air base and killed 4 people from American.
* VC will continue to try and destroy these air bases In south Vietnam
* operation rolling thunder was our reply back to the North, it will be bomb after bomb for the VC
- In 1954 50 percent of people had never heard of Vietnam.
- United states backs Southern Vietnam
- Soviet Union backs the North.
- The Vietcong are the enemies of southern Vietnam.
- The Vietcong attacked us in the mid 1960's.
- On august 7th we became fully involved.
-The south Vietnamese are called the Arvin.
- The VC practiced Guerilla Warfare.
- The VC attacked US airbases in Vietnam.
- Operation Rolling Thunder is a plan Johnson authorized. It was a large scale bombing campaign.
* In 1964 50% of Americans had never heard of Vietnam.
*In 1954 U.S got involved.
*U.S leaders are training Vietnam Civilians to build there own army.
*August, 1964 the U.S gets attacked by North Vietcong, and strike back.
*August 7, 1964 Johnson gets permission to take all steps necessary.
*South Vietnam army is called Arvin. U.S is advising them.
*Vietcong uses Gorilla Warfare.
*The VC starts attacking U.S air bases.
*Operation Rolling Thunder was the U.S retaliation. The U.S dropped bombs on Vietnam hoping they would see the power and drop out of the war.
Less than 50% of Americans knew what Vietnam was before the war.
U.S. was first involved with Vietnam in 1954.
Viet cong were the soldiers from North Vietnam.
Viet cong attacks the United States.
America is now involved in combat.
Arven are the South Vietnamese troops.
VC begin attacking US airbases.
U.S. retaliates with operation rolling thunder.
-Nobody knew where Vietnam was. Not even the US
-In school they read anti-communists books
-Political treaty divided the country of Vietnam
-North and South Vietnam were fighting because north vietnam wanted communism to over rule
-On August 7, 1964 Congress passes the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution.
-Now the US is fully involved to fight in Vietnam
-President Johnson was president at the time.
-Vietcong was North Vietnam and Arvin was south vietnam
-::Guerilla warfare was how they hid in the jungle and did hit and runs whenever they wanted
-Operation Rolling Thunder was made to set back North Vietnam
- 50% of americans have heard of Vietnam
- America's involvement in Vietnam began in 1954
- Spring of 1964 Vietnam was a hot spot in the Cold War
- mid 1950s to mid 1960s the US is assiting
- The VC physically attacked the US
- Augst 7, 1964 the United States is fully involved
- Saigon is South Vietnam's capital
- Arvin is South Vietnamese army
- Gorilla Warfare
- Pleiku Airbase
- Operation Rolling Thunder
• less than 50% of Americans haven't heard of Vietnam
• America became involved in 1954
• America supported the South
• We provided military and financial assistance
• the Vietcong (VC) runs the North
• congress passed the gulf of Tonkin resolution allowing president Johnson to take all steps necessary in South Vietnam
• the Arvan army fights from the south
• the Vietcong used Guerilla warfare
• the Gulf of Tonkin resolution was seen as a declaration of war from the U.S.
• Operation Rolling Thunder is repeated bombings on the North by the U.S.
-"Nobody knows where Vietnam is."
-Communist China and Soviet Union support the North, while the U.S. supports the South.
-U.S. provides them with military
-More than 16000 advisers are training their army.
-Physically attacked the U.S.
-Congress passes Golf of Tonkin resolution in 1964.
-3500 marines land in South Vietnam in 1965
- In the spring of 1964, less than 50% of Americans have heard of Vietnam.
- It was a battle between communism and democracy in Vietnam.
- In 1954, the US got involved because of a treaty that split the country.
- They provided South Vietnam with money, supplies and medicine.
- The VC is the enemy to the US.
- On August 4th, 1964, a second attack from the VC had occurred.
- On August 7th, The Gulf of Tonkin Resolution was passed, authorizing President Johnson to take all steps necessary in Southeast Asia.
- The South Vietnam army is called the ARVN.
- Guerrilla Warfare is the tactic that the north is using that is working so well. "They were farmers by day and soldiers at night."
- On November 1st, 1954, the VC launched a surprise attack on one of the US's airbases in South Vietnam.
-Less than 50% of Americans know where Vietnam is
-cut priest's tongues off in Vietnam so they couldn't teach
-Soviet Union and China support communism and America supports the capitalist side
-The VC are the forces in North Vietnam going against the south
-August 7th 1964 congress passes the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution allowing the U.S. To do whatever it takes
-South Vietnemese army is called Arvin
-The VC use the tactic of gorilla warfare
-The U.S. uses the operation "Rolling Thunder" which was a bombing campaign used to attack North Vietnam
-"Nobody knows where Vietnam is"
- Political Treaty splits Vietnam apart
- The U.S supported South Vietnam
- 50's-60's was the time period where the U.S would send support and supplies
- South Vietnam had to fight off the VC
- Congress passes the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution
- The VC physically attacked the U.S
- The U.S became fully involved on Aug 7th, 1964
- Arvin- South Vietnamese army
- The VC used Guerilla Warfare
- Operation Rolling Thunder was an attack done by the U.S, in North Vietnam. The U.S would drop bombs by planes
- '65, we have ground troops, 3500 of them
-In 1964, only 50% of Americans have even heard of Vietnam
-Soviet Union and China supported communism
-Presidents of US provided Vietnam with financial assistance
-US was physically attacked
-In August of 1964 we become fully involved and are going to bomb physical targets in Vietnam
-We begin to advise the South Vietnam army
-American power destroyed military bases in just 8 weeks
-1965 we have ground troops
• In 1964 50% of Americans hadn't heard of Vietnam
• Americas involvement in Vietnam began in 1954
• From 1954-1964 the United States was just assisting the South Vietnamese
• U.S. military involvement began in August 1964
• On August 7, 1964, Congress passed the Gulf of Tonkin Act
• The South Vietanmese army is called the Arvin
• Viet Cong were farmers by day and soldiers by night
• Viet Cong used guerrilla warfare strategies
• Viet Cong are attacking air bases in South Vietnam
• Operation Rolling Thunder was a bombing campaign put into place in 1965 by President Johnson
• American forces underestimated the North Vietnamese and Viet Cong
• In 1965 ground forces (Marines) were sent in to protect the pilots and Air Force
1. In 1964, 50% of Americans had never heard of Vietnam.
2. China and Soviet Union back North Vietnam.
3. The U.S. supports South Vietnam.
4. Viet Cong guerilla force in the North.
5. August 7, 1964 - Congress passes the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution, which allows Eisenhower to use all force necessary in Vietnam.
6. South Vietnam army - Arvin
7. Viet Cong uses hit and run tactics. Guerilla Warfare.
8. Viet Cong attacks U.S. air bases.
9. Eisenhower initiates operation Rolling Thunder, a sustained bombing campaign.
10. In 1965, ground troops are sent to Vietnam for the first time.
*In 1964 less than 50% of Americans have heard of Vietnam.
*Vietnam split in two in 1954.
*North was backed by communist, South was backed by Americans
*Assisting and advising from 1954-1964
*North Vietnam attacked to U.S. ships in a span of two days. The U.S. considers this an act of war.
*Congress passes Gulf of Tonkin resolution to give us unrestricted access.
*VC is the Norths army, Arvin is the Souths army.
*Gurilla Warfare was used by the North.
*Operation Rolling Thunder was the U.S.'s first retaliation.
*In 1965, American ground troops began coming over to South Vietnam
Less than 50% of Americans knew about Vietnam.
Superpowers are again involved in the division between North Vietnam and South Vietnam.
The force in North Vietnam are called the Viet Cong.
Congress allows for troops to go to Vietnam.
The Viet Cong begin to attack airbases.
The Rolling Thunder tactic is used to crush the Viet Cong's will to fight.
In 1965 ground troops are put in Vietnam.
*in 1964, 50% of Americans had never heard of Vietnam
*in 1954 is when the U.S. got involved in Vietnam
*Viet Cong is the north forces
*August 7, 1964 congress passed the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution-- giving President Johnson to take all steps necessary to in Southeast Asia
*Arvin is the south's army
*Guerrilla warfare is what they used--they hide in the jungle and then they ambush
*both sides saw the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution as a declaration of war by the U.S.
*Operation Rolling Thunder is the retaliation plan of dropping bombs on North Vietnam in order to push them back
*President Johnson knows putting troops on the ground will make it look like a much larger war to North Vietnam people
*over 3,000 ground troops were sent to North Vietnam in 1965
-Before the Vietnam War, less than 50% of Americans had heard about Vietnam
-America becomes involved with Vietnam when a political treaty separated the country in two.
-China supported North Vietnam while the United States and Great Britain supported South Vietnam.
-To aid against the Vietcong, the United States and Great Britain supply South Vietnam with supply and weapon support
-In 1964, the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution is passed to allow President Johnson to take all steps necessary in Southeast Asia. This occurs after North Vietnam physically attacks the United States.
-After the Vietcong attack U.S. airbases, President Johnson authorizes Operation Rolling Thunder. This would constantly bomb North Vietnam's industrial targets.
-In 1965, U.S. ground troops are deployed in South Vietnam.
- Most Americans didn't know where Vietnam was
- Americans were training the south Vietnam troops
- Viet Cong were the communist troops in the north
- August 7, 1964, Congress passes Gulf of Tonkin resolution, allowing any force necessary in southeast asia
- Hit and run tactics, blend into the jungle
- VC began to attack US bases
- Johnson approves ground troops in Vietnam
1)In 1964 less than 50% of Americans know what Vietnam is. 2)America became involved in vietnam in 1954. 3)Communist support north Vietnam and America supports south Vietnam. 4) In August 7, 1964 the Gulf of Tonkin resolution 5) operation rolling thunder starts on march 2, 1965.
In 1964 less than 50% of Americans knew of Vietnam
Viet kong* were forces in the north
Congress passed the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution letting Johnson do whatever is necessary
South Vietnam party is called Arvin
They saw the resolution as a declaration of war