The fake experiment was visual acuity.
Only one person was a real participant.
The actual experiment was on comformity.
People followed the group on 37% of the trials.
People often followed because they didn't want to feel the discomfort of disagreeing.
Fake vision test
Only one person is a subject
They get it wrong on purpose
He believes the group is actually right
They do this to test group comformity
One person is a real subject and will be told wrong answers on some of the trials
When everyone else says 2 the subjects also says 2, doubting his own thoughts.
Subject knows hes right but says wrong answer to avoid discomfort in the group
Subject was given a partner answering same response
The discomfort was greatly reduced
- Social experiment about lines
- Test pure pressure around others
-37% of Aschs subjects caves
-With a partner only 5% yield to the pressure
-In interviews they said that the partner didn't effect their answer
-A simple test to determine which lines are equal
-Only one person is a real subject, the fifth one; the rest are confederates of the test
-On the third test, the confederates of the test deliberately choose the wrong answer, to test the real subject's conformity
-37% of test subjects conformed with the group, even though they were wrong
-With another "partner" choosing the right answer, the test subject was more likely to choose the right answer, showing it's the unanymity of his opposition, not the amount of people
-he knows everyone is wrong but he wants to fit in
-he thinks the group is correct because there is 4 of them and 1 of him
-he doesn't want to feel discomfort with the group so he agrees with them
-when he has someone else with him he feels more comfortable and will say the correct answer.
-when you have someone to agree with you will be more open instead of feeling discomfort you will have be more comfortable having someone to back you up.
Only one person is an actual contestant.
The groups lies on a few questions.
The person thinks group is correct and perceives his own eyes.
With a partner yielding drops.
Bei g with a partner proves that yielding is caused by people not wanting to go out against the group. With a partner they feel better with going out against the group
- Only one out of the 6 people is the subject
- 37% of the group conformed to the answers that were given because if was 4 of them and 1 him
-They go against what they know because they don't want to feel like an outcast
- It drops from 37% of people conforming to 5% with a partner
-They feel as if the partner has nothing to do with it but he really do
-The line test is used by 5 people (4 fakers) (1 experimenter)
-This test is to see if people would go with what they believed or what everyone else was saying.
-37% went along alone
-People went along even if they believed they were right because of embarrassment.
-5% went along with a partner because they found comfort in having a partner.
- An experiment was held to test conformity.
- The experimenter held a false study that supposedly studied people's visual perception.
- Subjects went along with group in 37% of the trails.
- Subjects said they went along for a few reasons because they either didn't know the true answer, they were afraid to stand out, or they truly thought the group was write.
- With a partner, many followed the same basis, but some claimed their partner had no affect on their answer.
-Only one of the subjects is real
-The subject denies his own eyes and goes along with the others
-32% of the subjects went along with the wrong answer
- the answer was always obvious
- 75% conformed at least once
- Only one person out of the group is a real subject
- The subjects changes their answers to fit in with the group
- Denies the evidence of its own eyes
- He knows he's right but he goes along with the group to avoid discomfort
- A group as a lot of power
1. group says wrong answer,subjects agrees but knows the right answwer.
2. subject gives in to peer pressure.
3. with partner subject yielding drops 5%
4. without partner 37% of subjects give in to wrong answer.
5. subject believes group over there own eyes
-There is only one subject while the others are aware of wants happening.
- Some of the subject would give in to the group.
-The first four would give the same answer weather or not it was right.
- The subject would yield to the groups answer or not.
- Most of the subjects gave into the groups answer.
The way they planned it .
only one real contestant
asked to match lines
the video was old
they did it wrong on purpose
- A group of people are shown sets of lines, and have to pick which ones looks most like the original
- Only one person in the group is an actual participant, the others are actors
- For a couple of the line groups, the actors will all give the wrong answer, the point is to see if the real participant will conform with the group or not
- It showed that 37% of the participants conformed with the group, even though they knew the answer was wrong
- In some trials one of the actors will give the right answer when the others give the wrong one, to see if the participant is more likely to not conform when given an ally
- 3 lines
- 6 people, 5 actors
- subject goes with the group
- when someone gives correct response, subject tends to pick the right one
- subject denies the person played a role in their judgment
1. Asch created an experiment to test conformity.
2. He places five actors pretending to be subjects, and one real subject in a room and they are asked to match a one of the three lines with an individual line.
3. The actors start to give wrong answer on purpose to see if the subject would conform even though the group is evidently wrong.
4. 37% conformed.
5. when they had a partner, it was only 5%.
People knew they were wrong. They just didn't want to be the only one to pick something different. Most subjects picked the wrong answer. There was only one real person in the experiment and other subjects were in the study with the staff.
*Kitty got stabbed 4 times in the back.
*NOBODY CALLED THE FEDS!
*Someone yelled and made the man runaway.
* Collapses running down the steps.
*Man saw attack taking place and did nothing.
*Kitty bled to death, died before got to the hospital.